Rheem is considered to be one of the most trusted names in New Zealand when it comes to water heaters. Even in the early days, they have provided the latest in water heating technology and have thus branched out to other products, as well as catering to both the residential and commercial markets. For the home, Rheem has introduced several products, such as the Gas Continuous Flow Water Heater, the Indoor Gas Storage, and lastly the outdoor gas storage.
Outdoor Gas Storage
For the Outdoor Gas Storage, the Rheem Stellar is now considered to be the most efficient gas storage water heater available in New Zealand. In fact, it is even known as the “king” of gas water heaters designed for outdoor installation.
It boasts of a high flow rate ability delivering up to 40 litres of water per minute that is why this makes it ideal for homes with numerous bathrooms, high delivery tap ware, massage showers, and homes with high hot water consumption. Another reason why this product is considered as one of the best is that has no electrical connections therefore making it still work in cases when power breaks down. Also, what is reassuring to the client is that it has a 10-year warranty.
Two Model Types of the Rheem Stellar Gas Water Heater:
|Model||Approx. Storage Capacity (Litres)||# People in Moderate Climate||# People in Cold Climate||Installation Location||Gas Type|
|Model||Stellar 850330NOZ||Stellar 850360NOZ|
|Approx. Storage Capacity (Litres)||130||160|
|# People in Moderate Climate||2-5||3-6|
|# People in Cold Climate||2-4||3-5|
Both Rheem Stellar models are available in natural gas only and also for outdoor installation. Because of its mains pressure, it can power many taps at one time. The Stellar 850330NAZ has a 130L capacity and has a superior 200L per hour hot water recovery while the Stellar 850360NAZ has a 160L capacity and a 175L per hour hot water recovery. Not only does the Stellar have finer qualities, it also has a modern styling that blends well with the external home environment. Both have the Stellar SuperFlue which increases efficiency and performance.
Pros and Cons of a Rheem Stellar
Pros of Rheem Stellar:
• A gas water heater has faster heating compared to electric models. An electric heater takes at least an hour to heat up 25 gallons of water whereas a gas heater can heat up a 50-gallon tank. This is important if you have a large family because of the high demands for hot water.
• Another advantage of using a gas water heater is that it has potentially lower cost. Although electric heaters are more energy efficient compared to gas heaters but gas heaters make up the cost by having electricity cost more than a natural gas in some places.
• Gas heaters can still work even if there’s a blackout. Since gas heaters do not have any electric connections, this make them work even in cases of power outages.
• The Rheem Stellar is specifically designed as a direct replacement if you have a Vulcan Freeloader.
• Another important thing to note if you are using or going to use the Rheem Stellar is that, you do not have to have space indoors since this is for outdoor use.
• It is also for mains or high pressure.
• If you are using a big overhead shower or a rain-head the Rheem Stellar can still deliver enough water for you.
• For a large family, having multiple bathrooms is a must so using this product is essential since it delivers at least 40 litres of water per minute.
Cons of Rheem Stellar:
• Gas water heaters can cost a bit higher as compared to an electric heater upfront and in its maintenance and installation but in the long run, you can then make up for your expenses.
• This has a shorter life span compared to an electric water heater. Electric water heaters can last up to 13-14 years compared to a gas water heater which can only last up to 13 years.
• It has a more difficult installation process because it includes a ventilation system. If your home has no gas line or has no previous gas heater, pipes or a gas line may need to be installed.
• If there is only the two of you in the household then using the Rheem Stellar may not be the best option for you. A lot of energy is used to heat up large amount of water and your consumption is low therefore it would not be advisable to have this installed in your home.
• It is started or controlled by a pilot light which means if this goes out, you may have issues turning on your water heater.
• The Rheem Stellar is designed for large consumption of hot water; it could take up a lot of outdoor space. This could be a problem if this is located in an access way or something similar.
• Rheem Stellars can take up high amount of gas consumption. If your area has a high cost for natural gases then this could be an issue for you.
• If the whole family shower at the same time, the Rheem Stellar may not be able to answer to the demand since it does not supply endless amount of hot water.
• If you are out to work or on a holiday, the Rheem Stellar could still be consuming gas.
• Lastly, this is not available for use in LPG.
You must take into consideration that at least a quarter of your energy costs goes to heating that is why, you have to make sure that you are making the right decision when choosing the best water heater for your family. Operational expenses are not the only factor that you have to consider, you must consider also the upfront cost and the maintenance cost as well.
Rheem Stellar Stainless Steel Electric Water Heater
There are now two available Rheem Stellar models, which is the gas and then introducing the electric water heater. The stainless steel water heater is at least 40% lighter compared to the vitreous enamel which makes it easier for plumbers to handle, transport and then do the installation. It is also aesthetically pleasing being it is in a modern design as well as offering durability. The key features of the Rheem Stellar Electric are:
• It has superior energy efficiency which gives it a lower energy cost compared to other conventional electric water heaters.
• It has a better performance of 12-24% against the Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS).
• Available in a wide range of sizes such as: 80L, 125L, 160L, 250L and 315L
• If you are located in an area where there are economical off peak tariffs then the 160L model and up is the one suitable for you.
• Long term maintenance costs and services are reduced since the Rheem Stellar electric heater does not require a sacrificial anode for protection.
• It has a 75°C maximum thermostat setting which is higher compared to other products.
• This product also has a 10-year cylinder warranty
Rheem Stellar Gas 330 Stainless Steel
• It has a reduced energy costs with 5 Star energy efficiency rating.
• Its hot water capacity is up to 390L in the first hour.
• The Rheem Stellar has better recovery when hot water is needed since it has 185L of mains pressure of hot water recovery every hour and an additional 50L additional recovery through the inbuilt user-adjustable mixing valve.
• Because of its mains pressure the Rheem Stellar Gas can accommodate the needs of a large family.
• Just like the Rheem Stellar Electric, maintenance and services are reduces since it does not need a sacrificial anode for protection.
• It also has a 10-year cylinder warranty.
• Replacing a Vulcan Freeloader:
• If you have an existing Vulcan freeloader and its causing you trouble and needs replacing you will be pleased to hear that by replacing it with a Rheem Stellar, you are practically replacing it “like for like”. Only a small modification needs to made to the gas pipework (more from one side to other) which is straight forward. Other than that, the location and all plumbing can be reused to install the Rheem Stellar.
• Checkout our Vulcan to Rheem Stellar replacement special here.
Get a free Rheem Stellar Quote. We always recommend contacting a professional when you plan to upgrade or replace your water heater system.